10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Effective board leadership and close collaboration between the board chair and chief executive have always been hallmarks of the highest-performing institutionally related foundations. In an era in which foundation boards are being challenged to provide increased support for fundraising, real estate ventures, and other strategic priorities of their institutions, effective board leadership is more important than ever.
This workshop provides practical guidance for foundation board leaders—including chairs, vice chairs, and committee chairs—on the fundamental responsibilities of a board chair, issues they will confront as board leaders, and strategies to enhance board engagement, productivity, and cohesiveness. The workshop will also address ways chief executives can foster effective, collaborative partnerships with foundation board leaders and will include separate breakout discussions for staff.
Topics addressed will include:
- Responsibilities of foundation board and committee chairs
- Effective volunteer-chief executive partnerships
- Supporting the foundation-institution partnership
- Planning and leading meaningful meetings
- Goal setting and assessment
- Growing a high-performing board
- Staff roles in supporting effective board leadership
- Troubleshooting common boardroom challenges
- David Bass, director foundation programs and research, AGB
- John Carter, former president and COO, Georgia Tech Foundation; senior consultant, AGB
- James L. Lanier, former vice chancellor for institutional advancement and CEO, East Carolina University Foundation; senior fellow and consultant, AGB
Many thanks to our generous sponsor: