AGB Consulting is your best source for experts on advancing the work of your board and institution. We provide individualized solutions for board members and campus leaders to respond to governance challenges and crises, and to successfully lead higher education systems, institutions, and affiliated foundations. AGB offers expert counsel and consulting services from experienced higher education leaders, resulting in high-quality and meaningful outcomes by combining tested ideas and cutting-edge practices.
Call us for help with your unique challenges—planned or unexpected.
Our Guiding Principles
AGB Consulting helps build 21st century boards that:
- Understand the role of the board. Effective boards must fulfill their responsibilities as fiduciaries; understand their role, the principles of shared governance, and the difference between governing and managing; and conduct themselves in an exemplary fashion, with appropriate transparency and accountability.
- Focus on issues of greatest consequence to the institution. By focusing on what matters most, engaged boards use limited meeting time best, help ensure long-term institutional sustainability, anticipate change, and make the best use of board members’ talents.
- Ask the right questions. High-performing boards help frame their own work and that of the administration by asking strategic questions.
- Assess and improve board practices. Consequential boards continuously assess and improve their performance, the structure of committees, qualifications and recruitment of members, orientation, and continuing education to be their best.
The AGB Connection
AGB Consulting is an exclusive service available to members of the Association of Governing Boards of Universities and Colleges. With AGB Consulting, your institution will be able to harness the expertise of AGB’s 90+ years of thought leadership in all areas of governance to address the specific challenges and questions facing your institution.
The AGB Consulting Process
Our team of experts can develop a customized, multi-staged approach to help you and your board meet your institution’s goals. Our consultants are higher education leaders and board members with the support of AGB staff and resources, including AGB publications, research, and programming.
Our steps to building a better board:
1. Understand your board and institution
- Discuss goals, needs, and timeline
- Conduct initial core stakeholder conversations
2. Assess needs
- Identify and connect with a consulting expert to set expectations
- Review institutional documents (e.g. bylaws, strategic plan, minutes, etc.) and develop an initial work plan and schedule
3. Develop a personalized strategy
- Refine scope of work
- Plan for implementation
4. Implement thorough solutions tailored to your institution
- Provide resources
- Develop an action plan that includes, campus visits, workshops, coaching, surveys, interviews, or other activities
- Present reports or findings
5. Ensure lasting success
- Plan consultant follow-up and administer survey
- Provide AGB member benefits and services