Skip to main content

AGB Blog

Improving Notre Dame's Stadium: Some Prerequisites

Improving Notre Dame's Stadium: Some Prerequisites

The University of Notre Dame began a new buildling project on campus, the "Campus Crossroads Project."  The project, estimated to cost $400 million, will bring three new buildings to campus and expand the university's famed football stadium. 

In a recent article for AGB's Presidents and Governance Newsletter, University of Notre Dame president, Rev. John Jenkins, C.S.C., explained the board's role in such a significant project.  Of course, it's not unusual for an institution's board to be involved in significant new construction projects, but Notre Dame has specific "bedrock policies" that the finance and the facilities and campus planning committees of the board, in particular, aheared to.

"First, any proposal must align with the seven tenets of our campus plan. These in a nutshell are that construction must be guided by our Catholic heritage and sacramental vision; the campus as home and academy; stewardship of the natural environment; stewardship of the built environment and architectural forms, styles, and material; organizing the campus with axes, focal points, quadrangles, and other exterior spaces; the ceremonial focus of Notre Dame Avenue and other approaches to campus; and separation of pedestrian and vehicular traffic.

The second policy, which, like the seven tenets, is required for all building, mandates that construction cannot begin until 100 percent of the funds are raised, with 75 percent received in hand and the remaining 25 percent scheduled for receipt within five years of completion of the project."

Read the full article about "The Board’s Role in a University’s Biggest Building Project."  For more information on the physical plant and campus planning, consider The Facilities Committee, part of AGB's Effective Committee Series.

Thanks to Flickr user gbozik photography for the image.

Help
Close

Help

Click here to chat with the member concierge
Close

Help